Nine Alarming Facts about Single Use Cups
1. Disposable paper cups contain 5% polyurethane plastic,
making composting and recycling of disposable cups extremely rare
2. Half a trillion disposable cups are manufactured annually around the world; that’s over 70 disposable cups for every person on the planet.
3. Most plastic used in the world today is for single-use items.
4. 4 billion trees, or 35% of the total trees chopped down, are used in
5. 1 tonne of paper consumes 98 tonnes of resources in manufacture.
6. Globally, we consume nearly 300 million tonnes of paper each year;
most made from virgin pulp.
7. Very little recycled paper is used to make disposable cups due to
health risk concerns.
8. 70% of the world’s paper comes from diminishing forests, not from
plantations or recycling
9. Consumer waste has increased more than tenfold over the 20th century,
from 40kg to 560kg of waste per person, per year.